Frequently Asked Questions


Expand All


Full details of application deadlines and details of how to apply can be found on the University of Oxford Graduate Admissions website. If you are currently studying for a taught Masters course at Oxford and wish to apply to carry on to a research programme with no break in your study, you can apply for readmission via the Embark system.

You will only be able to use the readmission form if you are studying on an eligible course. Principally, eligible courses comprise any MSt, MSc, MPhil, BCL, MJur, MFA, BPhil or MTh. You may use the readmission form to apply to research courses offered by different departments.

Information is available via the Graduate Admissions website.

Students from countries outside the Non European Economic Area (EEA) will require a visa. More information is available via the University of Oxford website.


The Sociology department requires the Higher Level IELTS or TOEFL. Please refer to the university website for further details. 


The graduate courses available at Oxford range from one to three or more years in length. All students enrolled on a full-time course must spend a period in residence, which means that during term you will need to live within 25 miles of the center of Oxford. 


Expand All


Students will need to organize funding for their University Tuition Fees, College Fees and Living Expenses. Full information on available funding opportunities is available on the University’s Fees and Funding pages.


Expand All


A DPhil is the same degree as a PhD, only the name is different. Oxford uses the term DPhil and other universities use the term PhD.


On average, taught courses require essays and projects to be submitted on a weekly basis, together with preparation for examinations, and the undertaking of original research. The courses have minimum requirements of reading and presentation and successful students will read outside of their recommended reading material. Study at Oxford should definitely be seen as a full time endeavour, and all students find the workload intensive (and rewarding).


The Disability Advisory Service provides information and advice on disability issues at Oxford and facilitates support for students with disabilities. This includes, for example, students with sensory or mobility impairments, long-term health conditions, specific learning difficulties, autistic spectrum conditions or mental health difficulties.  The Common Framework for Supporting Disabled Students outlines the principles underpinning of the University's approach, records existing policy, and defines the roles and responsibilities of those providing support to disabled students.  The current Disability Lead in the Department is Michael Biggs.


Expand All


It is quite common that students are aware of field experts here at Oxford, and choose the University based on the expertise of a staff member. However, if you want to find out more or haven't yet decided on your own specilisation, first refer to the Department faculty list (main menu), and from there, you will be able to read the home pages of individual staff members, including publications, research interests


Oxford's library services are famously outstanding. The Bodleian library receives all works published in the UK and these can be referenced in its many reading rooms. The Department library contains a comprehensive range of basic collections for reading lists. College libraries are very helpful and several of the colleges have specialst libraries too. Within Oxford there are also specialist institutes and Sociology research centres. You will need to be prepared to traverse Oxford to find all the resources you need, though books can be ordered electronically and most journals can be accessed online.


Expand All


Oxford has a wide range of accommodation, offered by Colleges, the University itself, and by a large number of letting agencies and private leases. Contact the University's accommodation office for more information, or check out your college choices.

Waiting until the week before you arrive to seek accomodation is not recommended!


The ground and first floors of the Department of Sociology in Park End Street are fully accessible and there is a lift to the first floor. There are wheelchair accessible toilets on both floors. Please contact us for further details. 


Colleges act as a base for the duration of your time as a graduate student. They provide meals, chapels, social events, sporting clubs, and each has its own library (of varying degrees of size and specialism). Several colleges also provide accommodation for graduate students, either for one year, two years and exceptionally, three years. Some colleges offer scholarships for applicant students. You should check their individual college websites for further details.


Teaching at Oxford occurs in several different locations. The Department of Sociology has its own building and all main teaching takes place there. Although you read for your subject at a College, it is quite unlikely that you will be taught there. Lectures are given in the Examination Schools and the Departments, and they are open to all members of the University. Seminars and classes may be provided in the Departments or in the College of the course provider. Tutorials will be held the College office of the person giving the tutorial. This is one of the reasons a bike is handy to have in Oxford.


All graduate students at Oxford University are members of a department and also of a college. You can state a college preference on your application form or, if you have no particular preference, you can let us assign you a college.

Please use the College search tool to explore the colleges that will accept application for your chosen programme. Stating a college preference or letting us assign you a college will not affect how the department assesses your application and ultimately whether or not we decide to make you an offer. If you do receive an offer from the department then you will also receive an offer from a college or hall, although this might not be the college you stated as your preference if you indicated one.