Professor of Sociology, Director of CTUR, Fellow of Nuffield College
Research Areas: Economic Sociology, Time Use, Household and Labour Participation.
Member of Research Streams
- Research methods
- Gender, family and households
Jonathan Israel Gershuny FBA, BSc (Loughborough), MSc (Strathclyde), DPhil (Sussex) MA (Oxon) is the Professor of Economic Sociology in the Oxford Sociology Department, and a Senior Research Fellow of Nuffield College. He is the Director of the Centre for Time Use Research (funded by the UK Economic and Social Research Council and by an Advanced Award from the European Research Council), and is a former Head of the Oxford Sociology Department. He was previously the Director of the Institute for Social and Economic Research at the University of Essex (1993 to 2006), and the Principal Investigator of the British Household Panel Study, and continues as Principal Investigator of the Multinational Time Use Study (MTUS). He was elected as a Fellow of the British Academy in 2002, and was the Chair of the Academy's Sociology, Demography and Social Statistics Section from 2006-2009. He won the Silver Medal of the Market Research Society in 1986, and was elected as an Academician of the Academy of Social Sciences in 2011.
He started to study how people spend their time in the late 1970s. The Multinational Time Use Study, which emerged from his early work, now includes accounts of more than 800,000 days, collected from 20 countries, over the period from 1961 to 2013.
Full CV and publication list on http://www.timeuse.org/team/gershuny.
Latest working papers
- 85 Years of US Rural Woman’s Time Use
- Post-Industrious Society: Why Work Time will not Disappear for our Grandchildren
- Workweek Estimate-Diary Differences and Regression to the Mean
- Domestic outsourcing and multitasking: how much do they really contribute?
- Relative Human Capital Resources and Housework: A Longitudinal Analysis
- Calibrating time-use estimates for the British Household Panel Survey
- Prof Jonathan Gershuny gives speech at House of Lords
- Professor Jonathan Gershuny chaired a special panel session on ’Time Use Research in the Future’ on Thursday 31 July at IATUR conference in Turku, Finland.
- Professor Jonathan Gershuny on BBC Women's Hour
- The Centre for Time Use Research is fetaured in International weekly journal of science NATURE